Amazing Black Bean Quesadillas
Mairlyn Smith and I co-authored two books together. Both were award winners and national bestsellers. This recipe – created by Mairlyn – is one of my absolute favourites. It’s simply a delicious way to fit more beans into your eating plan. Your whole family will love these quesadillas too. Enjoy!
2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp (2 mL) cumin
One 19-oz (540 mL) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup (250 mL) salsa – mild, medium, or hot
½ cup + 2 Tbsp (155 mL) shredded light Monterey Jack cheese
5 large whole wheat soft tortillas
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, and red pepper. Sauté for 3 minutes, or until veggies are soft.
- Add the cumin, black beans, and salsa. Stir well. When the beans are heated through, remove from heat. (This can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Put a baking sheet in the oven.
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat. Place 1 tortilla into the pan. Spoon ¾ cup (175 mL) of the bean mixture on one half. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) cheese. Fold the other half over the tortilla over the beans and press down gently with a spatula. Brown underside and then very carefully flip it over to brown the other side.
- When the tortilla is cooked, place it in the oven on the baking sheet. Cook remaining quesadillas.
- When they are all cooked, cut each into 4 triangles. Serve with salsa and low-fat sour cream if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 280 Calories, 6 g Total Fat, 2 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 495 mg Sodium, 45 g CHO, 9 g Fiber, 14 g Protein