Maple Banana Bread
Try my homemade, maple banana bread. It’s awesomely delicious! Be sure to use 100% real maple syrup – nothing beats the taste of the real thing. Flaxseeds are an excellent source of omega-3 fats, fibre, and cancer-fighting plant compounds called lignans. Enjoy!
Makes one loaf (18 slices)
1 ½ cups (375 mL) whole wheat flour
½ cup (125 mL) ground flaxseeds
1 Tbsp (15 mL) cinnamon
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
1 tsp (5 mL) nutmeg (optional)
4 very ripe, medium-size bananas, mashed
¾ cup (175 mL) real maple syrup
1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
1 large, omega-3 egg
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celcius).
2. Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl.
3. Mix all the wet ingredients in another bowl.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined and smooth.
5. Pour the mixture into a lightly greased loaf pan (9 inch by 5 inch/23 cm x 13 cm). Bake for about 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Nutrition per slice (each slice is about 1/2 inch or 1 cm thick): 139 calories, 4.5 g fat, .5 g saturated fat, 23 g carbohydrates, 11 g sugars, 2.5 g fibre, 2.5 g protein, 93 mg sodium